CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Blink Murder

Monday, January 5, 2009

EVALUATION..please respond! =]

Hi everyone!
Okay, so i was thinking about our lesson today on EVAULUATING our final piece. So, i thought we could start a discussion. Lets begin with Question 1, which asks how we challenged, or conformed to conventions. So, I thought we could brainstorm some ideas and then publish a collective posts of all our gathered ideas. What do you guys think?


I think the most obvious convention, which we BRAVELY challenged, was the fact that we used a female antagonist. I think its pretty evident that with the majority of Slasher horror films, which we gain our inspiration from, its the 'surviving girl' who is the main female character. (For example, Scream.) It is almost always only the victims, which are young pretty girls.
However, i felt that we did not have any problems when portraying Mia as a murderer with our 2 minute time restriction. I think challenging this particular convention will work to our advantage, as it will make our product different and more uncomfortable for the audience.


So, what do you guys think? Maybe you should respond with your ideas, and maybe anything you want to add or change to what i have said.

Bisma

2 comments:

LATYMERMEDIA said...

You know Bisma, I concur. Do you concur, Bhavika and Mary? [Sorry, you'll get it if you've seen 'Catch Me If You Can'!]
But yeah, I do agree with that; using a female killer is a lot more unexpected, even though you know from pretty near the beginning - which I like because it sort of draws the viewer in to question what's going on.
I think we stuck mainly to conventions though, like with other aspects of our production like the music and credits, and the build-up of tension in the beginning. Also, Barthes' whole enigma code - I think we set that up quite well.
The stairs bit is quite horror-y too, and then you have the cuteness and 'nice'ness of the housemate and killer, which is quite different I think.
-Mia x

LATYMERMEDIA said...

While I agree with the challenge of conventions with having Mia as the murderer, we have also conformed because the victims are still women. Just thought I'd point that out.

~Mary